Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Bobby Labonte will miss Richmond race; Allmendinger to fill in



  Team press release

   2000 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Bobby Labonte will not race the No. 47 BUSH'S Beans Toyota Camry this weekend at Richmond International Raceway after suffering three broken ribs in a cycling accident near his Trinity, N.C. home on the morning of Wednesday, August 28.

   “I am feeling a lot better, but I don’t want to put the race team in any compromising position this weekend,” said Labonte.  “It just makes more sense to focus on my rehab one more week to ensure that I’m ready to go at Chicago (Chicagoland Speedway) with no issues.  I plan to be back with the team then and back behind the wheel.”

   AJ Allmendinger is filling in for Labonte during the Federated Auto Parts 400 in Richmond, Va.

   "Bobby means a lot to the JTG Daugherty Racing team and to our sport," Allmendinger said. "For me, it's a tough situation. I do not want to get more races with the team because someone is injured. Bobby is a guy that I believe is a Hall of Famer and he is a champion. It's tough to have that type of injury. Hopefully, he gets better as soon as possible to get back into the No. 47 BUSH'S Beans Toyota."

   "We are all wishing Bobby a speedy recovery and look forward to having him back," crew chief Brian Burns said.

No comments:

Post a Comment