Monday, January 9, 2012

Daytona test will unveil new rules

NASCAR is back in full gear as the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams hit the pavement at Daytona International Speedway this week for three days of preseason testing.

The main focus of the test is for teams to work on their final preparations for 2012 Speedweeks – in particular, the 54th running of the Daytona 500 on Sunday, Feb. 26.

“This is an opportunity we are providing to the competitors to implement and test the new Daytona rules package for 2012,” said Robin Pemberton, vice president of competition. “It’s a chance for them to get comfortable with the cooling package, the smaller spoiler and to practice drafting for next month’s Daytona 500.”

The new rules package is a result of information gathered during recent tests at Talladega last October and at Daytona last November.

 “While we have had other tests with these set-ups, this is the first opportunity for the entire field to test together and get more comfortable with this package as it relates to their cars,” Pemberton said.

 The new rules package includes:
· Smaller radiators
o Maximum of 2 gallon capacity
· Smaller overflow tank
o Maximum capacity of ½ gallon
· Radiator inlet is moved up closer into the front center bumper area
· Rate reduction in the springs – softer springs
· Smaller rear spoiler
· Base line restrictor plate of 29/32 inch (1/64 inch larger than plate size for the 2011 Daytona 500)

“This three-day test will allow the engine tuners for these teams to be able to work with their engine packages and see how they relate and react to the new cooling regulations,” Pemberton said.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Mark Martin gets a race with JGR

Joe Gibbs Racing announced Friday that NASCAR veteran Mark Martin will drive the Interstate Batteries Toyota Camry in the 2012 Nationwide Series race in Las Vegas in March.

“We’ve always hoped to have the opportunity for Mark to drive for us and to have him behind the wheel of our Interstate Batteries Toyota for the Nationwide race in Vegas is exciting,” said J.D. Gibbs, president of Joe Gibbs Racing. “He is a great example to all drivers of the dedication it takes to be successful and certainly we’re honored to have him part of our efforts in 2012.”

While Martin is only currently scheduled to race in Las Vegas for JGR, the team is still working on opportunities for him to secure additional races this season.

Martin currently has 49 career victories in 235 Nationwide starts. His most recent victory came just last season when he piloted the No. 32 car to victory Las Vegas. He had four starts in 2011, with the one victory and three top-ten finishes.

"No organization has been better in the Nationwide Series over the past three or four seasons and to have the chance to get behind the wheel of a Joe Gibbs Racing Nationwide car will be a thrill," Martin said. "Maybe I can pick up a few more races and try to catch Kyle to get my record back again.”

Friday, January 6, 2012

Are you a NASCAR all-star?

   NASCAR fans who think they have what it takes to be an all-star can win a role as an extra in Charlotte Motor Speedway’s new television commercial for the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race on May 19.

   Through Jan. 13, fans who visit and “like” the speedway’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/CharlotteMotorSpeedway can enter to win by explaining why they are an all-star and deserve a role in the commercial. The winning entry will join all-stars Carl Edwards, Mark Martin and Junior Johnson on the set for the shoot, which takes place on Jan. 21. The winner will also receive two tickets, two pre-race pit passes and a VIP parking spot for this season's NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race.

   The 2012 NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race commercial will feature the wild west theme launched by the speedway last year.

   Only one entry per person will be accepted. All entries must be received by Jan. 13 at 11:59 p.m. ET. The winning entry will be announced on Jan. 16. No purchase necessary. A complete listing of the official contest rules is available on the Charlotte Motor Speedway Facebook page.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bayne back in the No. 21

   Trevor Bayne will be back in the Wood Brothers' No. 21 Ford this Sprint Cup Series season and will attempt to defend his surprising Daytona 500 victory of a year ago.
    
   Bayne, who delivered the Woods their fifth Daytona 500 triumph in just his second start in the No. 21 Ford , said he’s pleased to be putting any off-season uncertainty behind him.

   “I’m excited,” he said. “It’s a big deal for me. It’s what I had hoped for. We’re all excited to be back together.”

   Team co-owner Eddie Wood said he too is pleased to have Bayne back behind the wheel. "We all wanted to do what was best for Ford Motor Company and its young drivers, and to be sure everybody had a place to race," he said.

   The team will be sponsored in 12 races and is expected to enter about 17 to 18 events.
  

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Zippy ready for another charity snowmobile ride

The Sixth Annual Zippy’s Crusade For Kids Charity Snowmobile Ride in Inlet, NY, will take place at The Ole Barn on Friday and Saturday, January 27 and 28. The 2011 Zippy’s Crusade For Kids donates much needed funds to many organizations and families, including the Shriners Hospitals for Children, the National Transplant Assistance fund, Motor Racing Outreach and the Children’s Homes of Iredell County.

Arctic Cat Inc. will provide snowmobiles for the celebrities to ride and share their passion.  Celebrities this year will include 2011 Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart and Greg Zipadelli, competition direction for Stewart-Haas Racing as well as crew chief of the No. 10 Chevrolet for SHR. Also attending: Steve Addington, Crew Chief, Jeff Meendering, Car Chief, and Aaron Kuehn, Crew Member of the No. 14 team. Donny Schatz, driver of the No. 15 Sprint car racing team for Tony Stewart Racing will also attend.

Zippy’s Crusade For Kids Charity Snowmobile Event will begin at 5 p.m. on Jan. 27 with a meet and greet, autograph signing, heavy hors d’oeuvres and raffle prizes.  “Showtime” will begin to play at 9 p.m.  The snowmobile ride will begin with brunch on Saturday morning at 10 a.m. and “take-off” of the sleds will be at 11 a.m.  The event will conclude Saturday evening with a full buffet of excellent food, raffles, silent and live auctions and presentation of checks.

Zippy’s Crusade For Kids is a not for profit founded by Greg and Nan Zipadelli to raise funds through community events to donate to help kids in need.  Any questions or to purchase tickets, you can go to www.crusadeforkids.com.

Reutimann joins Tommy Baldwin Racing

An announcement from Tommy Baldwin Racing on Tuesday:

Tommy Baldwin Racing (TBR) added NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (NSCS) driver David Reutimann to the team’s 2012 driver lineup alongside Dave Blaney. Still seeking sponsorship for both Reutimann and Blaney, details regarding car number, sponsors and team members will follow in the upcoming weeks.

Reutimann, a Zephyrhills, Fla., native, made his first NSCS start in 2005. He competed in four full NSCS seasons with Michael Waltrip Racing and compiled two wins, 12 top-fives, 26 top-10s and four poles. The 41-year-old racer also competed in the NASCAR Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series where he captured two wins.

“Tommy has built a really good organization from the ground up in a really short amount of time,” said Reutimann. “One of the things I like about Tommy and what’s refreshing about him is that he is just a racer. There are lots of things he could be doing but instead he is at the shop every day working hard to build the organization from the ground up. There are not a lot of true racers in the garage, and he is one of them. It’s the way I was raised with my Dad, so we are on the same page. I’m just really looking forward to the season and see what we can do.”

TBR competed in every event in the 36-race NSCS schedule in 2011 and raced into the top-35 in NSCS Owner Points, meeting the team’s 2011 season goals. Blaney drove to the team’s best finish of third in the October event at Talladega Superspeedway. The team also fielded a second car for five events in the second half of the season.

"Reutimann will be a great addition to our program and to Dave Blaney,” commented team owner Tommy Baldwin. “Last season, we met our goal of running the entire schedule and making the top-35 in points. This season, our goals is to continue our progress on the competition side. Having two veteran drivers in Reutimann and Blaney is a very important step in our program’s growth.”

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

NASCAR drivers are a changin'

   The offseason shuffle of NASCAR rides will continue into the new year, with several teams still finalizing their plans for the 2012 season.

   Among the expected moves to be announced over the next week or so:

   -- Jason Leffler, who drove in the Nationwide Series in 2011 for Turner Motorsports, is the leading candidate to drive a full season for Kyle Busch Motorsports in the Camping World Truck Series, multiple sources have confirmed. It appears owner Kyle Busch will drive few - if any - races for his own Truck or Nationwide teams next season.

   -- David Ragan and Cole Whitt are the leading candidates to replace Aric Almirola in JR Motorsports' No. 88 Nationwide team in 2012, sources said. A decision is expected early next week, around the time Almirola's move to the Sprint Cup Series and Richard Petty Motorsports' No. 43 car should be officially announced.

   -- The possibility of Kurt Busch driving his brother Kyle's Nationwide team fulltime in 2012 and competing for the series championships continues to be discussed, sources said. Kurt will drive a majority of the team's races regardless. Monster is expected to be announced as the team's sponsor during a news conference in January.

   Stayed tuned for more changes.