Veteran sports writer Jim Utter covers NASCAR for The Charlotte Observer and its racing site, ThatsRacin.com. In this space, Jim writes about all things NASCAR and other forms of racing which may also be relevant ... or not.
Saturday, April 13, 2013
Grandson of Bill France Jr. wins first NASCAR race
Ben Kennedy captured his first career win in dominant fashion - leading the NAPA Auto Parts 150 wire-to-wire as the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East made its inaugural visit to Five Flags Speedway in Pensacola, Fla., on Saturday. Earlier in the day, Kennedy established himself as the one to beat at the half-mile track in his home state - topping the speed chart in practice and winning the Coors Light Pole Award in qualifying.
The 21-year-old from Daytona Beach, the grandson of the late NASCAR Chairman Bill France Jr., held off multiple challenges throughout the 150-lap event and maintained command even after his sizeable lead was erased by a late-race caution.
"It's so cool to come here to Pensacola and win," said Kennedy. "This is a track with so much prestige and this is phenomenal."
Fifteen-year-old series rookie Gray Gaulding had to settle for second, with John Van Doorn third. Brett Moffitt came home fourth, followed by Kenzie Ruston. Bryon Ortiz, Dylan Kwasniewski, Sergio Pena, Ryan Gifford and Brandon Gdovic completed the top 10.
Kennedy, the great-grandson of NASCAR founder Bill France Sr., got his first win last year in the Euro-Racecar Series in Tours, France. This was his first win in the U.S. and came in his 30th NASCAR K&N Pro Series East start. His previous best finish was third (twice).
NASCAR confiscates parts from both Penske cars
Both Penske Racing cars my face penalties this week after NASCAR confiscated
the rear end housing and other parts from both cars before Saturday night's NRA
500 at Texas Motor Speedway.
Both the No. 2 Ford driven by Brad Keselowski and the No. 22 Ford driven
by teammate Joey Logano went through pre-race inspection at least twice on
Saturday before NASCAR had both teams remove parts from the rear end of both
cars.
So long as both cars still passed inspection, the drivers would assume
their respective starting positions for the start of the race.
Any NASCAR penalties would generally be released by Tuesday.
Friday, April 12, 2013
Jimmie Johnson on the fine line sports walk when it comes to rivalries
Five-time Sprint Cup Series champion Jimmie Johnson offered an interesting explanation on Friday to the fine line all of sports must walk between encouraging intense rivalries and promoting a rash of fights and punches.
Johnson was asked why it was good for NASCAR to take - for the most part - a hands-off approach to rivalries. Here is Johnson's answer:
"I think rivalries are good. That is the fine line that sports walk. Unfortunately, regardless of sport if it’s someone charging the mound like what happened yesterday to drivers charging other drivers that draws a lot more attention to whatever sport it is. There are a small percentage of people that like that and they want to see punches thrown, but I think in general sports fans like rivalries," Johnson said.
"We all thrive for that moment. That is kind of a line we walk and where the wave crashes. We want the rivalries, we want heated emotions and we want door banging. I don’t think the fans want a sterile environment they want some trash talking. That is the part we want, but we don’t want broken backs. We don’t want drivers injured issues like that. It’s a fine line that our sport walks and all sports walk.”
Want to ask NASCAR star Denny Hamlin a question?
Five NASCAR Sprint Cup Series stars will participate in a Q & A session with ticket tholds to the Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown on April 25 prior to the race at Richmond International Raceway.
The Q&A is scheduled for 4:45 p.m. in the Amphitheater and is open to all April 25 ticketholders. Fans can tweet their questions ahead of time to @DHFoundation.
This season marks the third
year the Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown will run at
Richmond. The race, which typically features a dozen
NASCAR drivers and celebrities battling on the ¾-mile track with some of the
best local Late Model Stock Car drivers, will serve as a fundraiser for the
Denny Hamlin Cystic Fibrosis Research Lab at the Children’s Hospital of Richmond
at VCU.
In 2012, the Denny
Hamlin Foundation committed to a 3-year grant totaling $150,000 for the
Children's Hospital of Richmond at VCU (CHoR). Funds from the grant, which are
raised through events like this year’s Short Track Showdown, will help accelerate the Denny Hamlin Cystic
Fibrosis Research Lab's ability to bring new therapies to cystic fibrosis
patients. In addition, the newly established Denny Hamlin Foundation Summer
Scholars program will help train the next generation of CF research
scientists.
Tickets for the event are general admission and $25. Children 12 and younger are free with a ticketed adult. Tickets
include the Blue Ox 100 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East race, which precedes the Short Track
Showdown. Call (866) 455-7223 to purchase tickets.
Thursday, April 11, 2013
Senator asks Fox Sports not to broadast Saturday night's NRA 500
April 11, 2013
Mr. Rupert Murdoch
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
News Corporation
1211 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
Dear Mr. Murdoch:
I write today to urge you to not broadcast NASCAR’s NRA 500 at Texas Motor Speedway on April 13th. This race, which is being sponsored by the National Rifle Association (NRA), is going to take place during the Senate’s consideration of legislation to reduce gun violence. The race not only brings national attention to an organization that has been the face of one side of this heated debate, it also features the live shooting of guns at the end of the race. This celebration of guns is inappropriate in the immediate wake of the Newtown massacre. But most importantly, broadcasting this race, which will highlight the NRA and its radical agenda during this time, sends a harmful signal to the families affected by gun violence, as well as the millions of Americans who support sensible gun control measures and enjoy your sports programming.
The horror that unfolded on December 14th at Sandy Hook Elementary School has sparked a national conversation about the adequacy of our gun laws. You, News Corporation and its subsidiaries, including Fox News, should contribute and continue to cover this discussion. Given that you have been outspoken in your support of gun reform, it is the height of irony that some would perceive that your company would now essentially endorse the NRA’s extreme position against such laws by broadcasting this event.
Shortly after the tragedy in Newtown, you called on policymakers and the President to strengthen our gun laws, asking, “when will politicians find courage to ban automatic weapons?” This valid question will be answered when the Senate considers major reforms to our gun laws in early to mid-April. As a senator, I can tell you that many of us possess the courage, and will strongly advocate for sensible gun reforms to take assault weapons and high-capacity magazines off our streets and require all gun purchasers to submit for a background check.
You also challenged President Obama to show bold leadership on this issue after he addressed the nation. I believe that the President has shown incredible leadership since the tragedy by trying to help our country, my state, and the community of Newtown heal in the wake of this terrible event. I would like to make a similar challenge to you. You should play a constructive role in our national dialogue by refraining from broadcasting the NRA 500. By airing this race you will be strengthening the brand of a radical organization that is currently standing in the way of meaningful progress on this issue. Today’s NRA bears little resemblance to the one of its founding. It stokes fear and perpetuates a perverse interpretation of the Second Amendment in order to sell more guns and fuel larger donations from gun manufacturers. After the events of Newtown, Aurora, Oak Creek, and so many other senseless tragedies, the NRA continues to say that the only solution to gun violence is more guns. It even disavows common sense measures, like universal background checks for gun purchases - a policy that enjoys the support of 74 percent of its members and that it advocated for in 1999.
Considering your support of sane gun control measures and the extreme nature of the NRA, I urge you to not broadcast this race on April 13th. Inserting Fox Sports in this debate at this critical time will give credence to an extreme organization that is opposed to reasonable policies to stem gun violence. Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Sincerely,
Christopher S. Murphy
United States Senator
Mr. Rupert Murdoch
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
News Corporation
1211 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
Dear Mr. Murdoch:
I write today to urge you to not broadcast NASCAR’s NRA 500 at Texas Motor Speedway on April 13th. This race, which is being sponsored by the National Rifle Association (NRA), is going to take place during the Senate’s consideration of legislation to reduce gun violence. The race not only brings national attention to an organization that has been the face of one side of this heated debate, it also features the live shooting of guns at the end of the race. This celebration of guns is inappropriate in the immediate wake of the Newtown massacre. But most importantly, broadcasting this race, which will highlight the NRA and its radical agenda during this time, sends a harmful signal to the families affected by gun violence, as well as the millions of Americans who support sensible gun control measures and enjoy your sports programming.
The horror that unfolded on December 14th at Sandy Hook Elementary School has sparked a national conversation about the adequacy of our gun laws. You, News Corporation and its subsidiaries, including Fox News, should contribute and continue to cover this discussion. Given that you have been outspoken in your support of gun reform, it is the height of irony that some would perceive that your company would now essentially endorse the NRA’s extreme position against such laws by broadcasting this event.
Shortly after the tragedy in Newtown, you called on policymakers and the President to strengthen our gun laws, asking, “when will politicians find courage to ban automatic weapons?” This valid question will be answered when the Senate considers major reforms to our gun laws in early to mid-April. As a senator, I can tell you that many of us possess the courage, and will strongly advocate for sensible gun reforms to take assault weapons and high-capacity magazines off our streets and require all gun purchasers to submit for a background check.
You also challenged President Obama to show bold leadership on this issue after he addressed the nation. I believe that the President has shown incredible leadership since the tragedy by trying to help our country, my state, and the community of Newtown heal in the wake of this terrible event. I would like to make a similar challenge to you. You should play a constructive role in our national dialogue by refraining from broadcasting the NRA 500. By airing this race you will be strengthening the brand of a radical organization that is currently standing in the way of meaningful progress on this issue. Today’s NRA bears little resemblance to the one of its founding. It stokes fear and perpetuates a perverse interpretation of the Second Amendment in order to sell more guns and fuel larger donations from gun manufacturers. After the events of Newtown, Aurora, Oak Creek, and so many other senseless tragedies, the NRA continues to say that the only solution to gun violence is more guns. It even disavows common sense measures, like universal background checks for gun purchases - a policy that enjoys the support of 74 percent of its members and that it advocated for in 1999.
Considering your support of sane gun control measures and the extreme nature of the NRA, I urge you to not broadcast this race on April 13th. Inserting Fox Sports in this debate at this critical time will give credence to an extreme organization that is opposed to reasonable policies to stem gun violence. Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Sincerely,
Christopher S. Murphy
United States Senator
Mr. Keselowski goes to Washington
President Barack Obama will honor reigning NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Brad Keselowski next Tuesday at the White House.
In a departure from recent seasons, only Keselowski and members of his championship-winning team will make the visit to Washington. In recent years, all drivers who qualified for the Chase for the Sprint Cup were invited.
"Other sports have the priviledge to go to the White House and they don't bring all teams from the Final Four, they bring the championship team, so I think it falls in line with how other sports are treated," Keselowski told The Observer on Thursday.
"It's always an honor to have the opportunity to go to the White House. It's probably more of an honor to go as the championship team. I really enjoyed going last year even though I wasn't a champion. I kind of feel bad for those who don't get to go who would have otherwise. But I'm going to have fun with it."
Keselowski said the best part of being a champion is the showing of respect from different arenas, whether it be Washington, other sports stars or people in Hollywood.
"That perspective from others is something I treasure and enjoy."
In a departure from recent seasons, only Keselowski and members of his championship-winning team will make the visit to Washington. In recent years, all drivers who qualified for the Chase for the Sprint Cup were invited.
"Other sports have the priviledge to go to the White House and they don't bring all teams from the Final Four, they bring the championship team, so I think it falls in line with how other sports are treated," Keselowski told The Observer on Thursday.
"It's always an honor to have the opportunity to go to the White House. It's probably more of an honor to go as the championship team. I really enjoyed going last year even though I wasn't a champion. I kind of feel bad for those who don't get to go who would have otherwise. But I'm going to have fun with it."
Keselowski said the best part of being a champion is the showing of respect from different arenas, whether it be Washington, other sports stars or people in Hollywood.
"That perspective from others is something I treasure and enjoy."
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Dale Jarrett, Bruton Smith among NASCAR Hall nominees
Former Winston Cup champion Dale Jarrett and Speedway Motorsports Inc. chairman Bruton Smith are among the five new nominees for induction to the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
The list of 25 nominees for the Class of 2014 was revealed Wednesday night and includes the 20 nominees not selected for this year’s class. In addition to Jarrett and Smith, the other nominees eligible for the Hall are Maurice Petty, chief engine builder for Petty Enterprises; five-time NASCAR weekly series national champion Larry Phillips; and the 1960 champion of what is now the Sprint Cup Series, Rex White.
From the group of 25, five inductees will be elected by the NASCAR Hall of Fame voting panel, which includes a nationwide fan vote on NASCAR.com. Voting day for the 2014 class is set for May 22 at the Hall in uptown Charlotte.
Jarrett, who was born in Conover, N.C., is the son of Hall of Fame member Ned Jarrett and was nominated in his first year of eligibility. Jarrett won the 1999 Winston Cup series championship and is a three-time winner of NASCAR’s biggest race, the Daytona 500. Jarrett, 56, most recently has worked as a TV commentator for race broadcasts with ESPN.
Smith, born in Oakboro, N.C., first promoted a stock car event at age 18 in Midland. He currently is chairman of SMI, which owns eight race tracks across the country, including Charlotte Motor Speedway. SMI was the first motorsports company traded at the New York Stock Exchange.
This round of nominees was selected by a 21-member nominating committee consisting of representatives from NASCAR, the NASCAR Hall of Fame and track owners. The committee’s votes were tabulated by accounting firm Ernst & Young.
The five member Class of 2014 will be selected by a 54-member voting panel, which includes the entire nominating committee, as well as media members, manufacturer representatives, retired competitors (drivers, owners and crew chiefs) and industry leaders. In addition, the fan vote will result in the final ballot.
The 25 Nominees
Red Byron: First champion in what now is Sprint Cup series, in 1949.
Richard Childress: 11-time champion car owner in NASCAR’s three national series.
Jerry Cook: Six-time NASCAR Modified champion.
H. Clay Earles: Founder of Martinsville (Va.) Speedway.
Tim Flock: Two-time champ in what now is Sprint Cup series.
Ray Fox: Legendary engine builder, owner of cars driven by Buck Baker, Junior Johnson, others.
Anne Bledsoe France: Helped build the sport with husband Bill France Sr.
Rick Hendrick: 13-time car owner champion in NASCAR’s three national series.
Jack Ingram: Two-time Grand National series champ in what now is the Nationwide series, 3-time Late Model Sportsman champ.
Bobby Isaac: 1970 NASCAR premier (now Sprint Cup) series champion.
Dale Jarrett: 1999 NASCAR premier (now Cup) series champion and three-time Daytona 500 winner.
Fred Lorenzen: 26 wins and winner of the Daytona 500 and World 600.
Raymond Parks: NASCAR’s first champion car owner.
Benny Parsons: 1973 NASCAR premier (now Sprint Cup) series champion.
Maurice Petty: Chief engine builder for Petty Enterprises.
Larry Phillips: Only five-time NASCAR Whelen All-American Series national champion.
Les Richter: Former NASCAR executive; former president of Riverside (Calif.) International Raceway.
Fireball Roberts: 33 wins in what now is Sprint Cup series, including the 1962 Daytona 500.
T. Wayne Robertson: Raised NASCAR popularity as R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. senior VP.
Wendell Scott: First African -American NASCAR premier (now Sprint Cup) series race winner.
Ralph Seagraves: Formed Winston-NASCAR partnership as executive with R.J. Reynolds.
O. Bruton Smith: Builder of Charlotte Motor Speedway and architect of Speedway Motorsports Inc.
Curtis Turner: Early personality, called the "Babe Ruth of stock car racing."
Joe Weatherly: Two-time NASCAR premier (now Sprint Cup) series champion
The following is a statement from Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Chief Executive
Officer and Chairman of the Board O. Bruton Smith regarding Wednesday's
announcement that he was one of five newcomers among the 25 nominees for the
NASCAR Hall of Fame Class of 2014:
"It
is a great honor to be nominated as a candidate for the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
Bill France Jr. once asked me to help him build NASCAR and I have literally been
building monuments to the sport for my entire lifetime. Millions of people have
attended NASCAR events at our speedways over the years and we've tried to be
creative and innovative in an effort to help push the sport to a higher level.
It's always been a perfect fit for me because I love racing and I love NASCAR
fans."
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)



