Ryan Blaney, the 18-year-old son of NASCAR veteran Dave Blaney, has signed with Tommy Baldwin Racing to run a combination schedule in the NASCAR Nationwide and K&N Pro series schedule in 2012.
Ryan will drive the No. 36 Chevrolet in six Nationwide races, with his debut set for the April 27 race at Richmond, Va. He will also run six K&N Pro series races with his family-owned DB Racing, beginning March 17 at Bristol, Tenn.
Blaney made three starts in the K&N Pro series last year, winning in his third start at Phoenix International Raceway. He also won the 2011 PASS South Championship and found success in ARCA, where he finished in the top-10 in both two starts.
“We were really competitive in the K&N Series last year, and I think we will be even more competitive this year. Hopefully, we will have an opportunity to win all six races," Blaney said. "We will have good equipment racing with TBR. It will be great to race with and learn from the Nationwide guys. To be able to race on bigger tracks will be a good learning experience too."
“We are really looking forward to restarting our Nationwide program as we have had much success in the past in that series,” said team owner Tommy Baldwin. “Watching Ryan the last few years, we are excited to get to the track and see him perform. As we look to the future, this Nationwide program is a stepping-stone for the Cup program, and we are excited to start with Ryan.”
Ryan Blaney will join his dad, Dave Blaney, with TBR this season. The elder Blaney drove the No. 36 Chevrolet last season in the Sprint Cup Series, which included a third-place finish at Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway.
“I’m proud that Ryan is making the next step in his racing career,” Dave Blaney said. “I think it is a great opportunity for him to run with TBR and still run some races in the K&N Series. He has learned very quickly in every series he has driven, so I am anticipating what competing in the Nationwide series brings."
Ryan Blaney’s Racing Schedule:
· March 17th – NKNSE – Bristol Motor Speedway
· April 26th – NKNSE – Richmond International Raceway
· April 27th – NNS – Richmond International Raceway
· May 11th – NNS – Darlington Raceway
· May 19th – NKNPSE – Iowa Speedway
· June 29th – NNS – Kentucky Speedway
· July 28th – NNS – Indianapolis Motor Speedway
· August 3rd – NKNPSE – Iowa Speedway
· August 24th – NNS – Bristol Motor Speedway
· September 28th – NKNPSE – Dover International Speedway
· October 12th – NNS – Charlotte Motor Speedway
· November 10th – NKNPSW – Phoenix International Raceway