Sprint, which announced earlier this week it would discontinue sponsorship of the Sprint Cup Series at the end of its current contract, will no longer host its 15,000-square-foot Sprint Experience interactive display area at NASCAR tracks, multiple sources confirmed to The Charlotte Observer and ThatsRacin.com.
The Sprint Experience is a 14,400-square-foot interactive display that
brings fans closer to the sport by offering custom interactive games,
driver and celebrity appearances, participation in stage games, and the
latest handsets and technologies available from Sprint.
Hospitality industry workers and others associated with transporting and operating the mobile display were informed this week they would not be used next season, sources said.
Fans took to social media in July to complain when Sprint first failed to bring the display at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Until that race, the Experience had appeared at every race track on the schedule for several seasons.
At the time, the company said it was "focusing on markets most important to Sprint corporate priorities."
When asked Thursday for comment on its decision to discontinue the Sprint Experience, spokesperson Kimberly Meesters provided the following statement to The Observer:
continue to use the NASCAR Sprint Cup sponsorship platform in 2015 and 2016 to
drive our business. Every season we evaluate our specific NASCAR programs and
adjust as needed. We are finalizing the details of our 2015 plan now and will be
ready to kick off the season Feb. 14 for the Sprint Unlimited at
When asked about Sprint's decision, a NASCAR spokesman declined to comment and deferred to the sanctioning body's statement released Tuesday when Sprint announced it was discontinuing its sponsorship after the 2016 season.