Tuesday, September 18, 2012

NASCAR reinstates Allmendinger

NASCAR has reinstated suspended driver AJ Allmendinger after he successfully completed the Road to Recovery program.

Allmendinger had been suspended by NASCAR on July 24 after failing a drug test. He was subsequently released by Penske Racing.

Allmendinger was temporarily suspended after failing a drug test taken in June in Kentucky. When a backup, Sample B test also failed, he was indefinitely suspended.

“I want to thank everyone for their support through this entire process,” said Allmendinger in a statement. “I appreciate that NASCAR created the the Road to Recovery program, and am grateful for the opportunity to return to competition. The Road to Recovery program was really helpful to me in getting my priorities reset away from the race track. And, honestly, that helped find my love of racing again and why I began racing in the first place. I’m looking forward to taking this experience and be better for it moving forward.”

Team owner Roger Penske said last weekend in Sonoma, Calif., that he would consider giving Allmendinger another chance.  But Joey Logano has signed to drive Penske's No. 22 Dodge in 2013. Sam Hornish Jr. has been in the car in Allmendinger's absence. -- David Scott

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck to AJ, as he moves forward in sobriety. It will be a wonderful life, if he siezes the chance.

    I know, I've been sober almost 26 years.

    ReplyDelete