During Tuesday night's edition of NASCAR Race Hub on Speed, Elliott Sadler, driver of the No. 2 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet, re-capped his incident with five-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion, Jimmie Johnson. He spoke with host Danielle Trotta about what happened.
“I just kind of got into the back of
Jimmie, it was 100-percent my fault,” said Sadler, describing the incident that
started as the field had just entered the race’s second lap. “It got other cars
involved like you see in a lot of the restrictor plate races. We were coming
into the outside lane, through the tri-oval, the 78 (Regan Smith) and the 48
(Jimmie Johnson) kind of get bunched up a little bit. They came down and its
100-percent my fault in getting into the back of Jimmie.
“We were kind of bogged down, everyone
was side-by-side and I didn’t check up in time, and I got into the left-rear
quarter (panel) of Jimmie. It was just a little bit, but that is usually all it
takes at these types of speeds. It’s a bad way to get
Sadler also talked about the phone call
he made to Johnson Tuesday morning.
never want to be involved in a situation like this. Being good friends with
Jimmie, and his crew, (as they) actually pitted my truck last year in Bristol
(Tenn.). I saw his guys last night at the airport, and I apologized to all of
them. I called Jimmie the first thing this morning just to say to him, ‘Look.
And explained to him what happened. I was sorry. I had no excuses. It was 100
percent my fault.’ I just probably really shouldn’t have been racing that hard,
that soon. I snuck up on him a lot quicker than I thought," Sadler said.
"Jimmie handled it like he handles
everything else. He’s just a class act and a good guy. I also called Chad Knaus
also. We reached out to those guys as well. It was just a tough way to get the
racing season started.”