Veteran sports writer Jim Utter covers NASCAR for The Charlotte Observer and its racing site, ThatsRacin.com. In this space, Jim writes about all things NASCAR and other forms of racing which may also be relevant ... or not.
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Ken Schrader Racing hires Martinsville (Va.) Speedway president as driver
Ken Schrader Racing will field a fulltime entry in 2014 in the Automobile Racing Club of America series and owner Ken Schrader has hired Martinsville (Va.) Speedway president Clay Campbell to drive two races for the team.
Schrader will drive the No. 52 Federated Auto Parts car in 10 races, while Matt Tifft, of Hinckley, Ohio, will be behind the wheel of the No. 52 for eight events.
Campbell will drive the No. 52 Federated Auto Parts car in the Feb. 15 series season opener at Daytona International Speedway and the May 3 event at Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway.
Campbell, a 25-year veteran of NASCAR’s Late Model series, raced at Daytona and Talladega in 2013. Since 2011, Campbell also has competed whenever possible in NASCAR’s K&N Pro Series East.
“Growing up in this sport like I have, obviously, I’ve known Ken Schrader and followed his career for a long time and have tremendous respect for him,” Campbell said. “To now drive for him in the Federated Auto Parts No. 52 is really a highlight of my life.
"Ken loves racing and has a passion for it just like I do. He knows both sides of this business by being a driver as well as a track owner. I’m the same way, just the exact opposite."
Tuesday, December 17, 2013
NASCAR delivers 2014 competition rules package to teams
Press release
NASCAR delivered the 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series rules package to race teams today, following collaborative development by the industry.
“It was important to get the final pieces of the rules package to teams as quickly as possible following the final tests last week,” said Gene Stefanyshyn, NASCAR vice president of innovation and racing development. “Throughout the process, we gained valuable data that informed many of the changes for 2014. This data will prove useful as we continue to evolve the racing product into the future.”
Changes to the package include statically setting the race car ride height and eliminating the pre- and post-race front height rules and inspections. Additionally, the 2014 package includes a square leading edge on the splitter, side skirt and rear fascia adjustments and an eight-inch rear spoiler. Finally, a 43-inch by 13-inch radiator pan will round out changes for 2014.
“We looked at a number of important factors when finalizing what the 2014 version of the race package will look like,” Stefanyshyn said. “The Gen-6 car has been a great asset to our sport. As we continue to improve and develop the racing product, we’ll rely significantly on the critical data that has been generated by the entire industry over the last several weeks. We’re extremely appreciative of those efforts.”
The first race featuring the new package will be at Phoenix International Raceway on March 2. This package will not be utilized for restrictor-plate races, including the 2014 Daytona 500 on Feb. 23.
NASCAR delivered the 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series rules package to race teams today, following collaborative development by the industry.
“It was important to get the final pieces of the rules package to teams as quickly as possible following the final tests last week,” said Gene Stefanyshyn, NASCAR vice president of innovation and racing development. “Throughout the process, we gained valuable data that informed many of the changes for 2014. This data will prove useful as we continue to evolve the racing product into the future.”
Changes to the package include statically setting the race car ride height and eliminating the pre- and post-race front height rules and inspections. Additionally, the 2014 package includes a square leading edge on the splitter, side skirt and rear fascia adjustments and an eight-inch rear spoiler. Finally, a 43-inch by 13-inch radiator pan will round out changes for 2014.
“We looked at a number of important factors when finalizing what the 2014 version of the race package will look like,” Stefanyshyn said. “The Gen-6 car has been a great asset to our sport. As we continue to improve and develop the racing product, we’ll rely significantly on the critical data that has been generated by the entire industry over the last several weeks. We’re extremely appreciative of those efforts.”
The first race featuring the new package will be at Phoenix International Raceway on March 2. This package will not be utilized for restrictor-plate races, including the 2014 Daytona 500 on Feb. 23.
Monday, December 16, 2013
Bill France Sr.'s great-grandson will be a fulltime NASCAR driver in 2014
Team release
MOORESVILLE, N.C. (December 16, 2013) – Turner Scott Motorsports is pleased to announce the addition of Ben Kennedy to its 2014 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series roster.
The 21-year-old will drive a fulltime campaign while competing for Sunoco Rookie of the Year honors behind the wheel of the No. 31 Chevrolet Silverado. Michael Shelton, who led the No. 31 team to TSM’s first championship in 2012 with driver James Buescher, will continue his role atop the pit box.
Kennedy made his NCWTS debut for TSM in 2013, earning a best finish of fourth at Martinsville Speedway. Kennedy, who began his racing career on the short tracks of central Florida, has Pro-Truck championship titles at both Orlando Speedworld and New Smyrna Speedway, which he earned in 2009, followed by the Super Late Model championship at Orlando Speedworld in 2010.
The great-grandson of NASCAR founder Bill France, Sr., Kennedy made his touring series debut in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East in 2010. In 2013, he finished fourth points standings on the strength of two wins, one pole, three top-five and nine top-10 finishes in addition to being crowned as the series’ Most Popular Driver. The Daytona Beach, Fla. native is also completing his sports management degree at the University of Florida.
"I’m really excited about the opportunity to be in Turner Scott Motorsports’ No. 31 truck for 2014 and to be able to work alongside Michael Shelton and a very talented crew,” said Kennedy.
“It will be a great year and I hope to really learn a lot in the series and compete for wins and Rookie of the Year. It’s going to be a blast to work with such great people; I can’t thank everyone I’ve worked with in the past enough for getting me to this point in my career. A big ‘thank you’ to all my fans for always sticking behind me.”
MOORESVILLE, N.C. (December 16, 2013) – Turner Scott Motorsports is pleased to announce the addition of Ben Kennedy to its 2014 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series roster.
The 21-year-old will drive a fulltime campaign while competing for Sunoco Rookie of the Year honors behind the wheel of the No. 31 Chevrolet Silverado. Michael Shelton, who led the No. 31 team to TSM’s first championship in 2012 with driver James Buescher, will continue his role atop the pit box.
Kennedy made his NCWTS debut for TSM in 2013, earning a best finish of fourth at Martinsville Speedway. Kennedy, who began his racing career on the short tracks of central Florida, has Pro-Truck championship titles at both Orlando Speedworld and New Smyrna Speedway, which he earned in 2009, followed by the Super Late Model championship at Orlando Speedworld in 2010.
The great-grandson of NASCAR founder Bill France, Sr., Kennedy made his touring series debut in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East in 2010. In 2013, he finished fourth points standings on the strength of two wins, one pole, three top-five and nine top-10 finishes in addition to being crowned as the series’ Most Popular Driver. The Daytona Beach, Fla. native is also completing his sports management degree at the University of Florida.
"I’m really excited about the opportunity to be in Turner Scott Motorsports’ No. 31 truck for 2014 and to be able to work alongside Michael Shelton and a very talented crew,” said Kennedy.
“It will be a great year and I hope to really learn a lot in the series and compete for wins and Rookie of the Year. It’s going to be a blast to work with such great people; I can’t thank everyone I’ve worked with in the past enough for getting me to this point in my career. A big ‘thank you’ to all my fans for always sticking behind me.”
What were Joe Gibbs Racing's Top 5 NASCAR moments of 2013?
Joe Gibbs Racing decided to rank its own Top 5 moments of the 2013 NASCAR season.
Here's its list:
1. Matt Kenseth's first win with JGR, at Las Vegas in March.
2. Darrell Wallace Jr.'s first NASCAR victory, which came in the fall Truck series race at Martinsville, Va.
3. Kyle Busch takes sponsor Interstate Batteries to Victory Lane at Texas in April.
4. Denny Hamlin wins the Sprint Cup Series season finale race at Homestead, Fla.
5. JGR drivers finish 1-2-3-5 in the Nationwide Series race at Darlington, S.C.
To see a video tribute to each moment created by JGR go here.
Friday, December 13, 2013
James Buescher is changing teams and NASCAR series in 2014
RAB Racing announced on Friday it had signed 2012 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series champion James Buescher to a multi-year deal to compete fulltime in the NASCAR Nationwide Series in the No. 99 Toyota.
Buescher has competed fulltime in the Truck series the past three seasons with Turner Scott Motorsports, winning the title in 2012. Buescher also won the 2012 Nationwide series season opener at Daytona.
"My first couple of years in NASCAR have been a dream come true, and I can't thank Turner Scott Motorsports enough for the opportunity they have given me to develop my skills," said Buescher. "I am very excited to be able to take the next step in my career, and I couldn't be more thrilled about the opportunity that RAB Racing is giving me to run full time in the Nationwide Series.
"I am really excited to get back behind the wheel of a Toyota and I am looking forward to driving their cars next year. RAB Racing is a solid organization with great people; I can't wait to get to work with them."
Buescher will have veteran crew chief Chris Rice on top of the pitbox for the 2014 season. In 2013, Rice, lead the No. 99 team to two poles, two top-five and six top-10 finishes.
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Gil Martin talks about crew chiefing the No. 3 car and Austin Dillon
Gil Martin, who most recently served as crew chief for Kevin Harvick in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, was officially named Wednesday as crew chief for 2014 Cup rookie Austin Dillon, who will drive the No. 3 Chevrolet for Richard Childress Racing.
Martin talked about his newest role at RCR:
"Since I came to RCR in 2000 I've worn many hats since I've been there and I've had the opportunity to be in all kinds of different and successful situations," he said. "I have to say this is probably the most excited I've been since I've been there for the simple that I've watched Austin since he was probably eight years old - go karts, Bandaleros, Legends cars.
"What an awesome talent. He's won championships through all of that. To get to be a part of watching where he's going to go in the Cup series is a tremendous thing for me. I'm really excited about it. I want to thank Richard for letting me be a part of it."
Monday, December 9, 2013
NASCAR postpones scheduled test Monday at Charlotte Motor Speedway
Due to rain Monday and another bad forecast for Tuesday as well, NASCAR has postponed its planned Sprint Cup Series test at Charlotte Motor Speedway until Wednesday.
The test will now run 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesday. Between 20 to 30 teams are planning to participate as NASCAR tests new ideas to help make the improve the racing on 1.5-mile speedways.
The test will now run 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesday. Between 20 to 30 teams are planning to participate as NASCAR tests new ideas to help make the improve the racing on 1.5-mile speedways.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)




